Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Downtown

Last Friday was Valentine's Day. Chris and I made plans to go out for dinner on Saturday night though to avoid the Valentine's crowds. I'm not a big candy/flowers/teddy bear kind of person, but I am a go out for a delicious meal kind of person. Of course we planned on going into downtown Syracuse because that's where all of our favorite restaurants are (including The Mission which is pictured below).



For circumstances beyond our control, we weren't able to get to dinner Saturday night (bummer), so instead we went out during the day for a photo adventure!

It was FREEZING that day! I believe the money tower said 29 degrees...brrrr. Chris and I walked around but our "photo adventure" ended up being us jumping in and out of the car while wiping our runny noses in between. Must be love! These are some of the photos I captured when I managed to put my tissues down.



























So my cupcake was inspired by a Valentine's date night. Not to be for me this year, but I know a lot of couples enjoyed their time together in downtown Syracuse for Valentine's Day. And so I give you The Downtown.

love is delicious!

The Downtown is a rasp-beer-y red velvet cake soaked with a raspberry reduction syrup, topped with cream cheese frosting and a fresh raspberry.

there is BEER in this cupcake!



















This is a typical red velvet cupcake recipe with 1 special ingredient: raspberry beer! The raspberry really comes through in this cake. And the color was beautiful.


When the cakes came out of the oven, they got bathed in a delicious reduction syrup of raspberry beer and fresh raspberries. I dipped the tops of the cupcakes into the syrup and then brushed more on top! It's so yummy and made the cakes so moist!

dip!
straining the seeds from the syrup
























Once the cakes were cooled and the syrup had soaked in, the cakes got dolloped with a big helping of cream cheese frosting. And a fresh raspberry.

cupcakes!!!


The tart flavor of the syrup mixed with the sweet flavors of the cake and cream cheese were a perfect combination!

Now I'm looking forward to the next time that Chris and I can go out for dinner downtown. What's your favorite restaurant in downtown Syracuse?



As per usual, thanks to Sarah Heppell for all of her help. This week Sarah helped me with not only some of the photos you see here, but with designing a business card and setting up my new email as well. Thank you!!!




Email me at:
cupcakes@bakedbykelly.com

1 comment:

  1. You go girl. I'm your biggest fan! Downtown dining... I love me some Dino BBQ!

    ReplyDelete